food: from our weekly menu- roast carrot soup

Every Saturday morning I sit down with a pile of cook books and food magazines and work out our menu for the week. I pour over the pages fantasising about long and involved dishes with time consuming sauces or desserts that take hours and many pints of cream to prepare. Then I make the list of practical, fast(ish) and varied meals that we will actually be having. Some meals will be 'Minnie Friendly' and others we will have once the babies are in bed. I try to include dishes that use in-season fruits and vegetables and also meat and pantry items that are on sale at the major supermarkets and stores. From this I write out our shopping list and also write up the menu on the big chalkboard in our kitchen. This way we all know what we are having. Of course there is the flexibility to switch it around or for some nights to resort to a cheese toasty because we are too tired to do anymore.

So I thought I would share some of our menu with you. This week we will be having this Roast Carrot Soup, with some toasted afghan bread on the side. Both carrots and stock are currently on sale at this supermarket.*

Roast Carrot Soup

  • 1.5kg carrots, chopped into small chunks
  • 120ml olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
  • Finely grated rind and the juice of 1 lemon
  • Fresh coriander, Greek style yoghurt, toasted pita or afghan flat bread to serve
  1. Preheat the oven to 220'c. Put chopped carrot in large bowl and drizzle with 1/3 of the olive oil - mix around so all bits of carrot are covered. Scatter the oiled carrot onto large baking trays (lined with baking paper), season to taste. Roast until golden and cooked through (about 25-30 mins but keep an eye on them).
  2. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in large saucepan over low/medium heat, add onion and galic and saute until tender (8 or so minutes). Add cumin and ground coriander and stir until fragrant (1-2 mins). Add stock. Bring to the simmer. Add roasted carrots. Blend with stick blender until smooth, season to taste with craked pepper and sea salt, add lemon juice.
  3. Serve soup scattered with a little lemon rind, coriander leaves, a dollop of natural yoghurt and toasted bread on the side.

original photo and recipe adapted from Gourmet Traveller, pg 42, June 2010

* Please note that I am not promoting the supermarket - I am just letting you know where the items are on sale this week.

Comments

Beck said…
Sounds delicious! Just had a read through both your blogs and really enjoyed your writing, photo's and thoughts. It's been a few years since my youngest was a baby but I'll never forget that precious time. Your two look like a great pair. See you again x
Marian Hazel said…
mmm, that looks good. I love the blackboard menu idea....I'm often scrawling it down on a bit of paper, and we get halfway through the week and wonder what we meant to cook with all those things we bought!
Hope's Mama said…
That fancy ap makes that soup look even MORE tasty!
I just went through a stack of my Donna H.ay magazines and cut out all my favourites. Been meaning to do that for... oh, two years! I need to do what you do though, and actually work out the weekly meal planner and shop accordingly. We just wing it most nights, but working with a shift worker also makes it hard.
You've given me inspiration to try harder though!
Amy said…
yummo! It's on our dinner plan for tonight! A drizzly cold day here in South Gippsland - deserves a great bowl of soup!
Lovely blog. Thanks for sharing.

xx Amy
by marie-nicole said…
We do the same thing... but on a Thursday night.
That soup sounds divine.

Love your new banner by the way.

Glad you like my recent post. No I did not get to the Handmade Craft market at Erina. Did you? If so, what did you think?