Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Time

It's a funny old thing, isn't it? When we were little days seemed to stretch on forever. Now, when we really need it to slow-the-&uck down, minutes and hours and days rush past, vanishing out if sight.

Time and those precious minutes have taken on a whole new importance over the last 5 months - I went back to work. Paid outside of the house kinda work. 4 days a week. 4 days a week, 4 days of precision timing, of planning everything to the minute. Drop offs and pick ups and trams. This fine tuned balancing act where every minute counts. Where if you are running late at one point, you are dangerously late for child care or after care pick up at the other point.

It's been a huge adjustment for the little 2 ones as they now spend lots of hours in care. Good care though. With people who seem to love what they do. Louis doesn't cry anymore. Well not every day...

After 6 years at home, 6 precious years at home, it's been a little shock for me. But in some weird way that has a lot to do with the absurdity of time, it feels like I never left that Department.

And it's been good to use my brain in other ways. To feel like I am part of something big.

I admire those parents who do this 5 or even 6 days a week as its tough. I k ow that I was lucky to be able to have spent so long at home with the children. But going back to work meant I have a new perspective on the home vs working parent debate. Frankly it's a stupid debate. More on that later...

The clock is ticking. But it's my one day at home with Louis. So I am ignoring the clock, for now...

3 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Hello you there, back in my reader again...
xo

sophie said...

So nice to hear from you! I admire enormously you raising kiddies and working. Such a feat of organisation. I know on my 2 days at uni, precision timing and organisation is required and I am always in fear of everthing falling over!

Jeanette said...

Hey , good to see you popping up again. x