Friday, 5 August 2011

food: red cabbage

For me, braised red cabbage is winter. It epitomises the cooler months; the months that make us crave warm and comforting food. This dish is sweet and a little sour and full of flavour. And the colour (not captured too well here) is amazing.


This dish is a fantastic accompaniment to pork. I make plenty so I can eat it the next day and the day after that, just as it is. I also love red cabbage that is pickled and sold in jars. I remember travelling in Europe with a jar of red cabbage in the top of my backpack, easily accessible for snacks along the way. I think my husband (from a German background) fell in love with me because of my cabbage eating ways. We often eat sauerkraut but I think this red cabbage is my favourite way to prepare and eat this mighty vegetable.





Erna's Red Cabbage with Apple by Stephanie Alexander
3 tablespoons water
1 red cabbage, sliced thinly, washed and drained
2 tablespoons brown sugar
pinch of salt
2 Granny Smith apples, pealed and sliced into thinnish slices
1/4 cup cider vinegar
60g butter

Place water, cabbage, sugar and salt in a heavy-based saucepan.
Add apple (don't mix it in), cover tightly and cook very gently (using a simmer mat if you are using gas) for about 1 hour. I no longer have a gas cooker and find that its fine on a low temp without the simmer mat.
Lift lid and stir apple into softened cabbage.
Add in vinegar and butter.
Cook, covered, a further 15 minutes.
Stir once more. At this point I may cook a little longer, depending on how the cabbage looks and feels. You want it tender, not crunchy at all.
The cabbage should look shiny from the melted butter - add a little more if you need.
You should still be able to see apple slices, not just mushed apple.




May need a little extra salt at the table (I love salty/sweet combinations). Lovely served with Pork Cutlets. Even lovelier the next day.

4 comments:

Kate said...

mmmm, looks yum!

Hope's Mama said...

Mmmmm, pork. I know this post was about cabbage, but god I love pork. And you're right, cabbage goes great with it!
xo

Michelle said...

I've just discovered red cabbage in a jar. How good is it?! Yum. So easy and delicious, and even Elsa loves it!

Michelle said...

Sending you a hug for yesterday

xx