Wednesday, 8 September 2010

nappies...


A big cloth nappy bum. So cute on a tiny little person. Little legs sticking out from the layers and layers of cotton, bamboo and soft velvety fabrics.

Now that the weather is getting warmer and the sun is shinning a little more, I am finally going to start using washable nappies more often. When I was pregnant with Louis I posted about my plans to use modern cloth nappies as I was (and still am) lost with the many types and brands available. I have been so lucky to receive some cloth nappies as gifts from lovely, lovely people so I have been able to try out a variety of styles. When I first had Louis there was no way his little bottom was going to fit in the cloth nappies I had (mediums and OSFA) and I didn't really want to buy the smallest sizes given how expensive they are. And given the vast number of poo's in the early weeks, disposable nappies are just far more convenient for us in these early, wintery months.

Louis is getting bigger (in a very petite way) and his cloth nappies are finally starting to fit. I have used them a dozen or so times now and amazingly they wash so well without soaking or bleach. I was dubious at first as to whether they would clean so well as Louis is quite fond of pooping once he has one on. But they wash up like brand new. So now I will slowly add a few more to the collection.

In all honesty, I don't think I will be able to be organised enough to use cloth nappies full time but if I can use them part time, I think it's a start. If I can cut down the disposable nappies we buy, it's better for my wallet and for the planet and that has to be a good thing.

6 comments:

clare said...

good on you. I pop all the naps from the day in a bucket, rinse and wash after tea and hang on a clothes rack to dry overnight. By morning they are pretty much dry and can be put outside for a couple of hours and are ready to go again for another day. I find this better than washing them in the morning, cause then they are wet all day...

KERRY said...

Well done! I'm the same as you. We used disposables to start with, and then from around four months (when he started pooping less), we moved onto washables. Tend to do a bit of both, but feel proud that we're using them. There's something very pleasing about seeing real nappies drying! We still use a disposable at night as he's a heavy wetter! Fuzzibunz (a lucky cheap ebay find) are what we use, and they're really soft, but we also have some bamboo terry nappies. Prefer the shaped nappies though as he can move around better in them. I agree that there is something extra cute about a baby in a real nappy! (loooong comment)!

spectacularfairywren said...

What a cuty patootee! Love that big stripey bottom!

Hint - use some of those plastic, pegs on a ring things you can buy from a $2 shop. Hang nappies on them and move them all over the house and yard and shed to catch the sun!

Don't worry about all the time/some of the time, the fewer you buy and throw in the bin, the better off is the local dump and your wallet! And buy second hand, as in everything else in life!

Again - cute cute cute

Jeanette said...

I love a cloth bottomed baby! And yes a clothes line full of nappies is so very satisfying. x

Hope's Mama said...

We're pretty much cloth full time now, and loving it. Feels good not to have to buy disposables, both for our wallet and the planet.
And oooh, you called me lovely!! If you want any more tips or ideas, shoot me an email as we have FAR TOO MANY as I'm a bit obsessed with buying them and entering competitions to win them!!
xo

Michelle said...

Thinking of you and Alice Buttons today.
xx