Thursday, 12 August 2010

my creative space: withdrawal symptoms

I am starting to get some major withdrawal symptoms as a result of my lack of sewing. Sewing with an attached 13 week old baby is not that easy. Since Louis' arrival I have literally sewn half a seahorse softie and mended 2 holes. That's it. Only today have I started to unpack my fabric stash. Before Louis was born we did some minor renovations in which I gave up a large sewing room in exchange for a tiny 'store room.' Selfishly our growing family demanded a larger playroom...

So my creative space is a very small room that, like some freaky tardis, houses a piano, a large IKEA bookshelf, a computer, a sewing machine, an over locker, a chest of draws, chairs, and so much crapola that you can hardly move. But in time (one day when Louis learns that he can sleep on his own) this is where I will get creative again. Where I may finish that enormous pile of WIPs and where I may actually get some stuff in the shop.

The photos are of the last thing I sewed before having Louis. I didn't know if he was a boy or a girl but I guess I had an inkling. You can not get much simpler that this applique. Cut a circle, fuse it on, sew around it, sew in and tie off your ends. Done. But sometimes simple is good.

More creative spaces found by visiting here.

9 comments:

Black Eyed Susie said...

I love simple. And Louis looks an absolute darling. I've got a bit of that fabric and a couple of tees that have been waiting a long while to get done. Perhaps I'll steal your idea! Arj is growing so fast just now he's in dire need of new clothes.

Must join in my creative space - mine has a huge hole in the wall, wet carpet and plaster dust everywhere. Great!

Amanda said...

What a sweetie pie...My munchkin is 6 months and it doesn't get any easier..Actually harder...Not that you want to hear that lol...She wants to be on my lap all the time and of course now wants to grab everything..My mommy side enjoys every second but my inner me is screaming for more "me" time..Wishing you long nap times enough to get chores and crafty in :)

Loz and Dinny said...

After an initial burst off the blocks of snatched sewing time - I am now finding it hard to even eat breakfast ... so I am hearing you, sista. But my! What an absolute gorgeous wee man xx

Hope's Mama said...

Uncanny timing of this post - I was going to email you today to see if you were sewing anything again, as I wanted to grab on or two more things for gifts for friends (one being a babyloss friend due soon). No hurry though. We'll talk!
xo

leslie said...

i am in almost exactly the same boat, having given up my sewing room for the baby to sleep in until there are less nighttime wake ups and she can room with her sister. i'm using whatever time i can find to cut things out for a huge sewing binge... someday.

Kate said...

You're doing something pretty important; there will be time for sewing eventually, but he will only be a baby once. And he is definitely a cutey

handmadehappiness said...

i know that feeling frazer my boy now gives me a little time to sew which i thoroughly enjoy.... time will come it's the waiting game!!!! savor every mo as well you shall know it passes all to quick when you look back!!! good luck with sleep and sewing! x

Jem said...

Thanks Rach, for stopping by my blog and complimenting my little pants! I just popped over to your blog and your profile brought tears to my eyes...you are one strong woman. And what a stunning new little person you have there. I'd love to follow your blog, but I can't see where to??
Oh, and they are definatley biscuits, not cookies!! Jem.

Jelly Wares said...

He sure does look super cute in those onsies... Great pictures, great post!!!

Hugs - Jodie :)