Tuesday, 4 May 2010

baby: nursery


The title is a little misleading as we don't actually have a nursery. We never used one with Minnie as she slept in our room (mostly in our bed) for about 2 years. We, personally, cannot imagine coming home from hospital and putting our tiny, newborn baby in another room in the house. For us, we all sleep better in the one room. The baby is close for feeding and changing and the incessant checking on. Steve says he probably gets more sleep with the baby in our room as I am not jumping up and in and out every five minutes.

So the 'nursery' is at the end of our bedroom. The baby will sleep in Minnie's bassinet and then her cot. And I am sure some times in our bed... I can easily move the bassinet next to my side of the bed as we are lucky enough to have a large bedroom.



There is a little place for changing the baby on our set of drawers. I covered a plain white foam change mat using some Heather Bailey fabric that I got for a song. I also over locked a large pile of stretch cotton squares, re purposed from old tee-shirts - these will be great as wipes and cloths for dribble etc.


I added a little art work on the wall above the change area. It was very simple to do and I am sure I have borrowed the idea from someone... I painted, in black, animal silhouettes on small pages from an old book that was falling apart (it is a lovely book on the lives of the great composers and admittedly it made me a little sad to remove these pages). And on two sheets I fused silhouettes in the same fabric that I used to cover the change mat. It doesn't look out of place in a grown ups bedroom and given I do not like cutesy, cutesy nursery decor, I think it looks great.

I also made a new nappy pouch and change mat for when we are out and about. Wilbur, from 'Charlotte's Web' is making another appearance. Minnie is a bit concerned that Charlotte is missing so I think I need to pop back into the sewing room.

So everything is ready. We are just waiting for one more 'guest' to arrive...

15 comments:

jodi said...

oh i love it! especially the artwork on the wall. I agree re. baby in your room - who puts their baby down the hall? Scary.

Thinking of you all the time. Wishing and hoping. x

Hope's Mama said...

This is all so gorgeous. You are so clever. You and Jeanette - I'm so envious!
Your room looks lovely. It is all lovely.
I just can't wait for your big news, Rach.
xo

tea with lucy said...

C'mon little baby!

Lovely touches Rach. You're very clever. We've been overlocking wipes here today too!

katiecrackernuts said...

What do you mean you don't love the good Doctor? Oh, that's OK.
This room is looking pretty darn fine. I spied the artwork earlier today. You clever clogs, you.

Jeanette said...

I love the art work and the little crib is beautiful, wow everything is just lovely.
x

KERRY said...

Oooh I love all the lovely things you have made...wow! It's just that darn waiting...I feel for you....I waited another nine days (may've already told you that). x

Kate said...

Love it all, especially the piggie pillow. Hoping next time you write it is with lovely news.

JasperBoy said...

This really feels like the perfect place to bring your baby home to; it feels fresh and familiar all at once. I think little babe will truly know that they are "home".

My two favourite things (if I could only pick two!)are the wall art (LOVE, like BIG love) and the covered change mat.

Another day closer to the "birth"day.....

love Jen in Melbourne xxx

Skye Rocket Sews said...

Very stylish and perfect for the new bub!
I couldn't imagine having baby right there as I "sleep" too.
Good luck and I hop it's not too much longer.xx
Mel.xx

Poppy and Mei said...

Lovely!
C'mon baby! XXxx.

Jo said...

Your 'little guest' is sure to love their new pad.

Michelle said...

It so beautiful Rach, I'm sure the little one can't wait to move in!

Thinking of you xx

Elise said...

What a perfect setting for your new little baby. I really like the silhouette artwork you made.

I am thinking of you and excited to meet your baby.

JasperBoy said...

No new post??? Maybe you're busy?

Jen in Melbourne x

Anna said...

Adorable room, love the pouch and changing mat. Can't wait for the babe to arrive! Thinking of you and your family...