Monday, 15 February 2010

my little Snow White...






For months leading up to Christmas Minnie declared that she really, really wanted a Snow White doll and a Snow White dress. She asked all the shopping centre Santa's and left instructions in her Christmas Eve note to Santa. If she was asked what she was getting, she always replied 'a Snow White dress and a Snow White doll.'


I contemplated buying a ready made dress but really couldn't bring my self to do it. I couldn't bring another synthetic, mass produced highly flammable costume into the house. I guess I was only thinking that buying one would save time and as my sciatica was really playing up, save me hours of sitting in my sewing room. I was going to buy the doll as I really couldn't re-create the one that Minnie had gazed at for months in every toy store in the greater Sydney area.



So I did the right thing and I made the dress. I used McCalls pattern (M5494), view E, with a few minor adjustments. This was a rather involved pattern, with a fitted, lined bodice and full skirt and very fancy collar. I did have a few moments of yelling and crying and lots of late nights in order to get it finished. I added the cape, fixed with buttons on the shoulders. I also used velcro (at intervals) to hold the removable collar in place (the pattern used little plastic popper things). And I added the little red appliqued features on the puff sleeves. I used yellow satin for the skirt but decided to use a blue cotton drill for the bodice as I was concerned about sewing with too much shinny, shinny fabric. I also used a light blue for the sleeves as I believe that's what the 'real' Snow White has. The light blue fabric was a business shirt belonging to Steve that was up-cycled - his contribution to the dress!



I must admit I was very proud of it when I finished it, late on Christmas Eve. I had never before put in a zip so neatly - that zipper foot really works! But my smile didn't compete with Minnie's when she first saw it on Christmas morning. And that was in fact my favourite Christmas moment - seeing her smile at this dress. Actually, it's one of my all time favourite moments.


Oh, what am I saying! Well of course Santa really did all the sewing. What a clever chap.



10 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Santa did a most magnificent job. He's such a talented seamstress!
It's always so much more special when it's been made with love, rather than bought from the shops.

Terry said...

Please, please, keep an eye out for suspicious apple vendors!! (Perhaps this is an omen - get a PC??)
XXX

Poppy and Mei said...

Beeeeeeautiful! XXxx.

sophie said...

it's amazing!! No wonder Minnie is so thrilled, she looks like a princess.

Gillian said...

Good on you! She is a lucky girl.

Jelly Wares said...

oohhh, that is just gorgeous!!!!

Hugs
Jodie :)

Michelle said...

oh my Rach, that is so adorable. You are a very clever mama! Lucky Minnie.

xx

jodi said...

it's amazing rach. i pulled your name out of the hat to win the book too ... head over to mine and email me your address. x

Jessica said...

That costume turned out beautiful!!!

Cindy said...

Oh my, it is just beatiful Rach, you should be so proud! I tell you Santa has some great helpers on hand