Wednesday, 24 February 2010

more reading...





Minnie cannot actually read yet. But she does love looking through her novels at the little illustrations. And perhaps at the words and the letters and the beauty of a typed page.


We are now reading 'James and the Giant Peach' and 'The BFG,' which Minnie assures us is not too scary. We have finished 'Charlotte's Web' (at which I cried hysterically at the end) and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' Minnie concluded that Mr Willy Wonka would have loved a son like Charlie - I think she is right.


Minnie's collection of novels was given a major boost by my excited buying from The Book Depository. With no shipping costs and discounted books prices, it really is addictive. I think I tell Steve every day how much I love The Book Depository. Yes, I know that would be better to always buy locally and we most defiantly still do. But I cannot justify spending double the price at the local bookstore for every book purchase we make.


In the pile for reading we now have;






I love both reading aloud and having the opportunity to re-read all my childhood favourites. Minnie has decided that she will read these 'grown up books' to the baby when it is born. What a lovely big sister this new baby has.

13 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Oooh, they were some of my childhood favourites. I think I would cry if I read Charlotte's Web now, too. And I'll check out that online shop. I have an addiction to online shopping though. Doing my grocery shopping now as we speak. I get lots of cheap books online at Fishpond. Also free delivery.
xo

Tania said...

Hi Rach :) Love those photos of Minne! Thank you for sharing that fantastic website! Have placed an order today.. love it!!
Hope you are well - love to catch up soon and see that growing belly... Count down now! Tania xx

Jessica said...

Read-alouds are my favorites! Love those pictures of Minnie 'reading'!

Barbara said...

Ah she looks so intent on her reading!

Great book choices.

xxx

Michelle said...

Lovely photos Rach. Minnie looks so grown up! And I love that book store too, I can always justify investing in books!

Elise said...

What gorgeous photos of Minnie, she looks so captivated by those books.

I love reading each and every book you mentioned.

Cindy said...

How good is the book depository! It should come with a warning I think as it is kinda addictive. I love that Caleb is starting to read some of my old storybooks now. Pixie Harris has some beautiful illustrations and stories of mermaids and fairies.
PS. Off to the post office tomorrow - slacker - sorry

sean the prawn said...

thanks for putting us onto the Book Depository.. my son is an avid reading..I'm always looking for a source to pick up those kiddies classics. Lovely to see your daughter engrossed in her books.

zoesquid said...

Mmm....Alice in wonderland. You cant beat it. Great Pics!

Poppy and Mei said...

TBD is soooo good!
We are waiting on our first order to arrive.
Minnie is so pretty & clever, give her a big kiss from us! XXxx.

tea with lucy said...

Big fans of The Book Depository here too!

Hope you're keeping well.

xo

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

LOVE Matilda, we just finished reading that in chapters at night, and now it's The Magic Faraway Tree, which is fabo too.
(oooh, word verification = tales)!

Jackie said...

I saw a license plate with "BFG" on it today and thought of this post! xoxox