Wednesday, 20 January 2010

(I am a) raspberry fool...


Raspberries are my favourite fruit. Hands down. I love the juicy, sweet/tart combination. I love their colour. I love them, I really do. And I miss living in Tasmania at this time of the year. My mother grows lots of canes in her garden and sadly, her produce doesn't make it here as often as I would like (the berries have arrived, frozen, packed in with her clothes or in her handbag with her books and glasses).

We do of course get raspberries in Sydney but at $9.99 for a tiny tray they are a very special treat. So yesterday and today I was overjoyed to see them at the local fruit and veg shop at 2 trays for $5.00! Quite a few trays have made it back to the Blue House. Last night I simply had them with a little cream and tonight, I will most likely do the same.

If I have stash of frozen berries from my mother, this is what we usually make. And yes, there is more cream. Of course. Its me.


A Fool for Raspberries
(Raspberry Fool recipe from Donna Hay 'modern classics 2')

Place 1 cup of raspberries in a frying pan and crush slightly. Add 2/3 cup of caster sugar and 2 teaspoons of lime juice (Donna recommends lemon and either works here). Cook over a medium-low heat, stirring gently until the sugar dissolves. Simmer for around 3-4 minutes or until the berries are soft and the juice is syrupy. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cold.

Beat 1 1/2 cups of cream until whipped. Fold 1/2 - 1 cup of fresh raspberries into the cream and then fold in the cooled berry syrup. Don't over mix - just fold gently.

To serve, spoon into glasses.

9 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Yum. I had fresh raspberries for desert last night. Got them cheap at the market on the weekend. Just with some vanilla icecream. So good.

Jessica said...

I love raspberries! In fact tonight I was just thinking about how excited I will be when it is raspberry season again. Until then I have jam. I do love raspberry fool and look forward to making your recipe!

zoesquid said...

Mmmm, sounds delicious...and simple too. Might give it a go this weekend.

Amber said...

Yum Rach, you little baking bunny. Wonder if that babies is loving those raspberries? I bet he/she is. Hope you are well..xxx

sean the prawn said...

I haven't dropped by for a while & boy am I hungry now!!
Think I'll try your apple tea cake tomorrow as we have guests coming for the weekend. It looks delicious!
Leah B.

jodi said...

so yum, so good. i need to visit your fruit shop! I've got a top ready for you to use for the cars....it's a stripey country road long-sleeve that was on sale. Yay! Let me know what you address is and I'll get it to you. hope you're well. thinking of you lots x

Jackie said...

P.S. Raspberries are my favourite too.....YUMMY!
I am having serious jealousy right now of your ability to eat fruit at this time of year. We're down to apples and oranges...Or frozen berries.

sophie said...

oooo yes please!

Michelle said...

I'm so grateful for living here with our berries, I'm amazed at how easy raspberries are to grow. But we eat them straight off the canes, they never make it into the kitchen. I would love to make this one day though, it sounds gorgeous, especially with the lime juice!