Saturday, 19 December 2009

last minute gift (1)


I decided, at the very last minute, that I needed another small gift for a very special little girl cousin. So I grabbed my copy of 'More Softies' for inspiration and whipped up this little owl pillow/softie. I based it on a pattern in the book but as it was for a little one, I appliqued rather than hand sewed all the features (of course I appliqued - what else would I do?) I didn't use buttons or any bits that could be pulled off and eaten and I made it larger than the version in the book. I also added more substantial feet. I used some lovely linen from my stash, as well as some Amy Butler decorator weight fabric and some quilting cottons.




I drew up an owl pattern some time back but I needed to make one a little faster than that. This little one took about 40 minutes from start to end, including the hand embroidery and finishing.


And the best news is that when we left her with it today, she was pretending to sleep, resting her sweet little head on it. Perfect.

7 comments:

Amber said...

OH rach, that is really cute. You are on talented little bean...xxx

Jessica said...

How sweet! I am loving whipping up these last minute gifts!

ingrid said...

He is beautiful! The perfect last minute gift.

sophie said...

too beautiful - I love it. Owls are always going to be a favourite.

Cindy said...

I know I had a few crazy last minute gifts too. Hope you all had a lovely day and enjoying some quiet time together. Hope 2010 brings lots of smiles

Jelly Wares said...

What a great last minute gift idea... Your owl looks AWESOME!!

Hugs
Jodie :)

Nicole said...

i absolutely adore the softies books! you've done an amazing job :)