Thursday, 5 November 2009

wishing...


that we had some of these in the garden! Henny Penny recently visited Minnie's preschool and flapped around, sitting on the children's laps and having a lovely time. We would love to have hens here at the Blue House but I think the mad Golden Retriever/cute little Hen mix is not a good one. I think any additions to this family need to wait until the dog has calmed down (please, let this happen) and until we have built a super hen house.
My parents have always had chickens so we grew up with hen friends, bright yellow yolks and lots of egg based puddings - I still love a good baked custard. And baked rice pudding, Pavlovas and creme caramel... And french toast, quiche and home made ice-cream (I think our home made vanilla ice-cream is almost the best thing in the world).

Hats off to those hens that make this endless indulgence possible. What would we do without you?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

That is one cute hen.
I wouldn't be without my 5 girls. It's s much fun to watch their antics in the garden.

Maybe you could get a chook tractor with some little bantams? I hope you get your wish one day.
xx

Jessica said...

Oh, I want a bunch of chickens!

carol said...

fun visit

Jo said...

Yes, chooks are lovely. And our bin is almost empty every week, and they are very fat.

tea with lucy said...

I'll confess I'm a bit of a mad chook lady. Love mine so much, my blog's named after her. Lucy!

She gets along famously with The Hound too.

Go forth and live your poultry dreams!

rob said...

the chicken and dog dilemma is alive and well at our house too. This is just a little bit of a relief i am a bit frightened of beaks!!!!

Tania said...

I am teetering. Knowing as I do that the end decision is inevitable. After listing all that eggy goodness, you're making it extremely difficult to resist bringing in the girls sooner rather than later!

PottyMouthMama said...

I would LOVE a hen. Or two. Or three. Yes. I love those golden egg yolks. So different to bought ones. Christmas is coming??