Monday, 17 August 2009

thursday - treasures

A couple of treasures from the Blue House. Some treasures other than the most important two treasures in my world...
The two gentlemen (L&H) below belonged to my grandparents, Joan and Basil. When they died, we were all allowed to choose something from their estate. This was my choice. Entirely a sentimental choice.


When I lived in London, I missed those guys as they had stayed safely behind in Australia. So to make myself feel a little more at home, I bought the little men below from a wonderful antique and curios shop in the East End of London where I lived.




The shop was wonderful - you know the type, packed to the ceiling with the most random yet amazing collection of wares. Amongst the treasure I found an antique set of luggage - 5 or so hard cases in a gorgeous faded yellow canvas with leather trim. From memory there was a hat box, cases in several sizes and a steamer trunk that stood upright and opened into a little wardrobe and dressing table. Oh how I loved it. I ummed and arred and thought about the cost to eventually ship it home. I went back an forth many times to the shop. Then I finally decided to buy it only to find that it had be snapped up by a set designer for a period film. Never, ever turn your back on a find like that.

Below are of some of my collection of lacquered boxes. I got my first one when I was about 8 and over the years have slowly added to the collection. When I lived overseas, my mum would buy one for my birthday's and Christmas' and when I returned she presented me with a parcel filled with lacquered boxes.








And some of my costume jewellery. I love how they sparkle and shine and I used to wear them often. Now there is a battle with a certain 3 year old over who gets to wear them. Given they have very large sharp pins on the back, they are staying out of circulation for a while.

Thank you for all your comments about our walls - very kind of you. And I tell you, they are so educational. I am really coming to grips with world weather patterns, rare stamps and the life and times of Ptolemy.

(And yes, I am many days behind but who could blog when the weather was so glorious here over the weekend).

4 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Such beautiful photos.
The brooch on the bottom left is really similar to one that I have (I posted the pic a couple of days ago).
I love vintage costume jewellery.

Amber said...

Oh loving the brooches and my nan would eye off your collection.
Cute photo at the the top, Minnie looks so little...xxx

Jessica said...

I have a bunch of costume jewelry like that from my grandma---I love it so!

Loz and Dinny said...

I too have my nan's costume jewelry! and my Mum laquered box given to her for her 16th birthday - I always eye it off - but in the end I snapped one up at a garage sale - they are so beautiful ... Oh to have a beach like that one close by. PS Your interview on kidstylefile was just lovely!