Wednesday, 1 July 2009

This is Susie and Joan

This is Joan as a little girl. Joan was my grandmother. Joan grew up on a big farm and lived in a grand old house. My mother grew up in the same house. Joan spent a lot of time with the cows and the sheep and perhaps not enough time studying. When Joan was a grown up, she still lived in the country but I think she dreamed of being a film star as she never was one for cooking or doing the household chores. I don't recall her ever cooking us any cakes or biscuits. I never saw her knit but my mum told me she did embroider something once. We didn't get our craftyness from Joan. She was never a typical grandmother but she was a lot of fun.


This is Susie. Susie is my aunt and my godmother. Susie is my mother’s little sister. They grew up together on the big farm in the grand old farmhouse. Now Susie lives in a grand new house that she built (well my Uncle did most of the building) but she did all the shopping for things to fill the house. We love Susie because she always gets her words mixed up and says the funniest things.


Joan and Susie are in the shop. I feel a bit strange selling off the family...
And thank you all for your sweet words about Shirley. x

9 comments:

Poppy and Mei said...

*sigh*...XXxx

Gillian said...

My Grandma is Joan too. She is the crafty/baking type but I think the gene skipped my mum who is not crafty or bake-y at all.
They are both lovely as are your stories about them.

Cindy said...

I so love them and I think they are all the cuter with such a little story behind them. I really love these girls

Barbara said...

Lovely designs with lovely stories!

xxx

Jo said...

I love Susie's dress, very pretty!!

Sweet stories too.

sophie said...

They are really lovely Rach, Susie is wearing my dress though and I want it back!!

sean-the-prawn said...

Haven't checked out your blog for a while & I am overwhelmed but just how gorgeous your appliques are. Looks like you have been making some truely beautiful thingys lately. Sorry to hear of your loss of Shirley she looks like such a warm character in those photos.
Leah B.

sue said...

I would have loved one of those grandmas that baked and did stuff too. My nan used to knit and cook, but after having 7 kids to cook for I think she got a bit tired of the baking bit and the cooking bit too. She always loved to sit down wtih a glass of beer and watch the cricket though, lol! Your family looks so cute on those shirts, love the dress on your auntie joan.

katiecrackernuts said...

What cute stories. I love the idea of someone getting everything so mixed up they say funny things and everyone just nods and lets it go. Tee hee.