Friday, 19 June 2009

This is Daisy



This is Daisy. (Not the other Daisy, who is the cat that likes sleeping).

Daisy was my great-great Aunt who lived next door to us, up in our old houses on the hill. We had a gate between our houses so we could go back and forth as we pleased. Aunt Daisy was the grandmother I always wanted. She was kind and gentle and had a big soft lap for sitting on. She always wore an apron and loved to cook. I would spend hours and hours with Aunt Daisy in her farmhouse kitchen, sitting at the old table. She would listen my endless ramblings and never seemed bored of the company.


Aunt Daisy taught me how to roast lamb and beef, how to prepare the vegetables and how to make gravy. On Sundays we would make a roast lunch for her family that would visit. Sometimes they wouldn't turn up - I am not sure if they ever called to tell her or that they just failed to show. So I would stay and we would have lunch together, at the table in the kitchen, warmed by the big old wood fueled oven. And as a special treat Aunt Daisy would make me a fruit cup cordial flavoured drink. Thinking about that flavour takes me back to the kitchen and to one of the loveliest people I have ever known. And if I smell fruit cup cordial or actually taste it and close my eyes, I am 8 again and I can smell the roast in the oven and see Aunt Daisy sitting in her chair.

9 comments:

CurlyPops said...

What a sweet story....
I love how your appliques have such amazing detail. They're just gorgeous.

Jessica said...

That jumper is so sweet!

sophie said...

What a beautiful pinnie, and a wonderful story, everyone should of had an Aunt Daisy (love that name!!)

tea with lucy said...

Gorgeous story about Daisy.

Not really sure how I stumbled across your site. . . but I loved visiting all the same!

Jo said...

daisy looks lovely and sweet. Mmmm fruit cup cordial.

Poppy and Mei said...

OH! Lovely story & big people sizes are a must! XXxx

Dick and Dora said...

Gorgeous story, gorgeous dress.

sophie said...

Hi Rachael, I have tried to email a couple of times by my emails bounces back. I can't do thursday only because I am really behind for mathilda's, i am so sorry. we are definitely getting together before the market and I will let you know the details. could you send me your phone numbers again? I am so sorry to stuff you around.

sue said...

Aunt Daisy sounds like a wonderful auntie. It was nice to read about your memories, and yes I can think of things that remind me of my nan too which is always nice. The pinafore looks so cute.