Friday, 26 June 2009

Shirley


My husband's Nana died on Tuesday. She was Minnie's (little) Big Nana, my Shirley and Mummy to her daughters. She had been a wife.
She was a friend to everyone. She was a nurse and a teacher. She was a delight. She was wonderful company. She was funny and smart and nothing got past her. She loved candied ginger. She was not a big fan of chocolate.
She was sweet and genuine and entertaining. She hated cooking. She didn't drive. She had travelled the world. She was well read. She knitted a little. She loved tea. She loved good crime fiction and disliked romance novels. She loved the Impressionists and a good film.
She will be missed by everyone for ever.

12 comments:

Kate said...

She sounds like an amazing woman xxx.

Loz and Dinny said...

I am so sorry ... I know the endless value of a lovely Nana - she sounds like she was a treasure ... may you find some smiles in the wonderful memories and stories x

Amber said...

Oh Rach, So so sorry to you guys. What a sad day to hear that. I am feeling your loss.

Love to steve too...xx

sophie said...

I am so sorry for your loss, what a sweet kind face she had. My grandpa loved candied ginger too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rachael,
love from Oody XXXX

Poppy and Mei said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry Rach, love to Steve & the whole family.
Big Nana's are so amazing, hang in there...XXxx

JasperBoy said...

Hi Rach,

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Thank you for sharing your personal pictures so that we could see her as the loved member of your family that she was.

Jen in Melbourne
(commenting from Townsville, QLD)

sue said...

Isnt it terrible when we lose such precious people from our lives. At least your children were lucky enough to know her too. She sounds like she was a very loving person.

Selina said...

Sorry for your families loss Rach, what a wonderful woman have in your hearts xx

tiff said...

Many many hugs being sent your way.

Dick and Dora said...

I love the photo of big nana and Minnie under the blanket, they look like they're sharing their own special joke. I'm sad that you've lost someone who was obviously very dear to you all. H x

Lexi @ PottyMouthMama said...

What a big hole she's leaving. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard losing someone you love so much, who has been in your life for such a long time. I miss my grandmother all the time. In fact I was telling my sister just today how much I miss our Nonny.

I love the photo with Minnie. She will treasure that photo.

So sad. x