Thursday, 28 May 2009

So I was up at 3.46am because...


Well it was nothing really exciting. Oh the mystery and the intrigue - it must have sounded all so interesting. Far less exciting is how we all really ended up in the middle of the night.


Wednesday AM - Minnie woke with a slight temperature. Cat needed to be taken to boarding. Cat ran off. Could not be found. Minnie needed to get ready for pre-school. Minnie not allowed to wear singlet and tiny shorts or a half finished summer dress. Dog chased cat away again. Dog trainer cancelled but talked on phone for 20 minutes while cat, dog and child were all going mad. Cat hiding. Me wandering the garden with a hand full of minced beef. Cat loured out. Cat caged. Dog hysterical at caged cat. Minnie sniffling. Cat, Minnie and me in car, all dressed appropriately. Dog left whining in the house. Drive to cat boarding. Leave cat. No crying. Drive to pre-school. Pay for pre-school. Minnie crying. Stopped crying for school photo. Minnie feels a bit warm. Mmm, a bit too warm? Temperature taken. Minnie taken home. No work for me today. Hot, crying child. All travelling tomorrow. By 9.28am, the cracks are starting to appear...


Wednesday PM - 8 hours of ABC1 and ABC2 later. Dog's bag packed for boarding. Present finished for Big Nana. Could not sneak off to do work or to do much packing as Minnie needed me sitting next to her for the TV marathon. Minnie feels hotter. Minnie now starts coughing like a wild animal. Rush off at 4.30pm to Dr's 40 minutes away (in traffic). Husband takes dog to boarding. Minnie wheezy. Awwww. Dr says she is OK. In my head I disagree with this diagnosis. (Minnie has never been sick with a cold before - they generally last 27 minutes and that's it). Back home at 6.00pm-ish. Throw together dinner. Quiet with no pets here. Minnie miserable. Goes of to sleep OK. Start packing. Not long after, Minnie wakes coughing and screaming. Taken to our bed where I sit up so she can sleep on my chest. Steve tries to pack in the dark in our room. Not going well as he throws things into the cases and I silently scream at him. Packing put on hold. Alarms set for 3.00am. Steve sleeps on futon in Minnie's room. I sit up all night, perhaps dozing for 30 minutes. We get up at 3.00pm to pack. We need to leave here at 5.00am. Yippie. What fun.


But the bestest, most brilliant, funest part is going to Adelaide for 5 days with a sick child. A child that remains sick for the entire holiday. A child that will not sleep on her own and for the first few nights needs to sleep sitting up on me.


Seriously, I do realise how lucky I am, with a generally healthy child. I take my hat off to people with sick children - their strength and patience amazes me. Like some of my friends who have very, very ill little people to care for. Please ignore my rant above.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I was always the kid who was sick on vacation...I hope Minnie is feeling better!

Jo said...

Oh Rach, what a day!, what a week! Hope the coming days are more relaxing for you and your family. xx

Poppy and Mei said...

OK! No wonder you didn't answer the phone!
Poor Minnie, hope she is feeling better soon...XXxx

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to say once again how much we appreciated / loved / etcetera your visit, in spite of poor little possum being off-colour! Love; Big Nanna and Oody XXXX

tiff said...

Oh I hope little Minnie is feeling better now.

Biggest hugs.

Michelle said...

Looking after sickies is so draining - I hope you are being kind to yourself - and that Minnie is feeling better soon.

PS I wish I had a warm puppy on my toes now, my feet are freezing!

xx

potty mouth mama said...

Ooh no, I hope she is feeling much better, and I hope you have managed to have some time out - that's hardcore!! Rest up sister, and take it easy.

aileen said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://dogfurniture.info