Wednesday, 22 April 2009

the weather for it...


Today feels like autumn. Unlike last week which felt like late spring. After finishing some orders today and a request from Minnie (a unicorn tee-shirt but with short sleeves, please), I stole a few minutes to sit and stitch. A warm quilt on my lap, puppy dog not too far away and a hot coffee to sip.

The stitching is from a picture by Minnie (you can see the original below). I am embroidering it onto a pillow slip and as I am so pleased with how it looks, every member of our families will be getting one for Christmas. They will forget about it by then so its OK to mention it here. I simply traced the design onto the pillow slip using a pencil. Then I just stitched along the lines. Its fairly plain to see that I am no stitcher. Just some messy little stitches. But I like them. If you are looking for more ideas, there are more in this book.

But of course the quiet wont last too long for I have to collect a very special little one from pre-school. To be honest, I collect her early as I don't really like it too quiet around here.
And yes, there will be a little handmade something for her in the car...

What are you working on this week?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

It looks fantastic! I see Minnie has your talent for drawing - I love the hair.

Your timing is perfect with this post I tell you, Perfect! I've been wanting to sew a pillowslip for Hugo's new bed and also do some embroidery while my MIL is visiting, who can teach me some fancy stitching. But to do it together.....You are brilliant!

Kylie said...

Thanks for the hints on applique. Jo from 'rosy and grey' also pointed me to your brilliant tutorials. It was probably part three that I was having issues with as all of steps leading up to it are very similar to hand applique techniques... except the use of tear-away stabilizer of course.

That said, I took your advice and bought some stabilizer, but haven't had a chance to try it out as yet. Will let you know how I go.

I love the idea of making a stitchery from a loved drawing. It looks gorgeous, well done!

K xx

Jo said...

That is such a sweet idea, and a great present for the relos.

I really MUST get Soulemama's book, I have been meaning to for ages.

Jessica said...

This week I'm working on reading...good books that I haven't had a chance to read yet. I'm loving every moment!

emma said...

nice stitching! I did a little hand work myself this week, finally finished a little kit that I bought at vinnies ages ago. It's nice to sit and stitch in this weather.

Jenny said...

I too have a puppy who curls up at my feet when I am knitting, sewing, etc. It's too cute and they warm your feet!

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

I like this very much. That phase of drawing is the best, when they just do a gigantic head with legs and hair!!