Monday, 6 April 2009

show your workings...

I love reading blog posts about the creative process; seeing the original designs or patterns, the works in progress and then finally the completed items. And I love seeing the wonderful spaces in which people create. I enjoy peeking into the shelves and cupboards and spying beautiful fabrics and notions in those stashes. After reaading and seeing these posts, I am inspired to try new things and reminded of all those lists and plans from long ago.


My sewing room has terrible lighting so is never going to look good in a photo. Take it from me - its a disaster. It looks more like a craft monster vomited all over a store room and left it. I am not an organised person, although I try really, really hard. And no, you can't see a cat sleeping in the fabric (sssshhhh, don't tell anyone).

Some of my designs, including the little girl, come from drawing time with Minnie. She asked me to draw a little girl, I did and quite liked the results. Of course my mind wanders to assessing the 'applique-ability' of any thing I draw or doodle. Other times I sit down purposely to draw a design I have been thinking about. And when I am feeling 'reckless', I skip the drawing stage and head straight for the fabric and scissors. To be honest, this happens a lot. Then I take my sketches from the cut and fused fabric and make the pattern to use again later.


And here is a peek at Daisy - all rugged up for a Midlands winter in her grey woollen scarf.


I hope that your creative spaces are calm and relaxing and that the craft monster stays well away...

7 comments:

katiecrackernuts said...

I have never been good at documenting the process. I often get rid of early sketches. Too messy and takes up too much room in our small house. I have little storage space for art and craft. I have been thinking just this weekend I wished I kept more. I am going to try and be better at this.

Jessica said...

I feel like I always have something in the process, but I rarely ever write about that process...only when the project is finished. I loved getting a peek in your craft room.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Nothing like a bit of creative chaos. My old boss Eric thrived on it - well, until he got fired! But that was because the bean counters upstairs didn't really get him. This is my first ever comment! hooray!
G

CurlyPops said...

I have an inappropriate cat that likes to do the exact same thing...grrr!

JasperBoy said...

Love, love, love your green stash! Beautifully captured and very inspiring.

Jen in Melbourne.

Poppy and Mei said...

Gimee, GIMEE! XXxx

sophie said...

Your applique ability always astounds me, you can do anything. I love this little girl, she is just beautiful.