Wednesday, 29 April 2009

a little bit of heaven...


I love it when you are doing a rather mundane task and life delights you. You know, when you least expect to find something wonderful, and you do just that. It doesn't often happen to me but a few weeks back it did.

I had just finished stocking up at the pet food suppliers that is located in a semi industrial area on the outskirts of my town. As I reversed out of my parking spot, I noticed a sign in the distance. And given I do wear glasses, I thought I was very much mistaken when I read the words 'patchwork.' Here? Down the road from the bags of feed and bales of hay? I don't think so! Of course I pulled in further down and went to investigate.


This is what I found.









I found Blueberries Patchwork and Quilting.

It was seriously a moment that made me smile, deep down and all over my face. When I opened the door of the store for the first time I was the proverbial 'child in the lolly shop.' I had not in a million years expected to find this oasis, this Aldan's cave of the most adorable fabric, patterns and trims. A class was being held at the back of the store and the laughter and chatter of the women was captivating. I guess some of you will think I am a little mad. But those of you that love fabric, you will understand. And to top it all off, Jackie and Rachael are the sweetest people you could meet. Minnie screamed the place down when we had to leave - she wanted to join the class... They too will remember our first visit.


So I have been back to Blueberries a couple of times to buy some of their delightful range (some of my new stash is shown in the photo at the top). And this week through to Saturday 2nd May 2009, they have 25% off all their fabrics (see the website for details). And no, I don't work at the store and this is not an advertisement - I am so just so pleased that Blueberries is a few minutes from home and it is not that other fabric super store that I have a difficult relationship with...


Let me just add that Steve is not quite as enthusiastic about me finding this store. Don't get me wrong, he loves seeing me happy but I think he may be a little scared given how close it is to home. But he smiles and nods when I show him each new piece of fabric and I explain what it may one day become. He smiles and nods. He is a good husband...

Do you have a favourite store? Some where least expected?

16 comments:

CurlyPops said...

It's very dangerous to provide me with a link to a fabric shop with a 25% off sale...aggggghhhh!

Kate said...

I would be seriously broke if I lived anywhere near there!

Amber said...

Oh Rach this is like your paradise...you could not be cuter by the way...hehehehe
It does look like a colourful lovely place..
I love it made you so happy xxx

sophie said...

Those photos are gorgeous, what a beautiful shop. I think I am going to be up your way this Sunday, maybe I can drop off your smock? (and you can tell me where this little piece of heaven is?) I will email you as soon as I am sure.

Jessica said...

That really is fabric heaven!

Cindy said...

Hooray for Molly, since you wouldn't of found this gem without her. Very nice indeed!

Poppy and Mei said...

You're a good man, Steve...XXxx
(My word ver is 'enchante'. Nice huh?)

Jo said...

Ooh, great discovery!!. My DH would not be enthusiastic either (Can Steve give nodding and smiling lessons to my Dave??).
What are you going to make with that gorgeous stack?

Tania said...

Oh yipee! What a wonderful find... it looks lovely. Lovely fabric shops are few and far between in our neck of the woods.
I'll pop on up my self one day.. and maybe drop those darn books back..!!..
Taniax

JasperBoy said...

The lovely CurlyPops and TinnieGirl put me on to Amitie in Bentleigh, Melbourne.

As you know I'm not a crafter, but I took little Jaz and her mum along on Monday to celebrate Jaz's number 2 birthday (amongst doing other things). It was a surprise and whilst I kept the little one busy at the dolls house and with a sticker book, Jaz's mum strolled the store to pick out some fabrics to make some pinnies and other bits and pieces. A lovely afternoon!

Gorgeous stash you've created.

Jen in Melbourne
(currently commenting from a hotel lobby in Canberra whilst I'm away for work. Addicted to your blog - absolutely!!)

Polka Dot Daze said...

You are so lucky to have such a lovely shop nearby. I love your blog too.

Selina said...

Beautiful fabrics, great find!
I have nominated some my favourite people for a sisterhood award. Please see my blog for the little logo to pass onto your favourite blogger people.

Ally @ Blueberries said...

Hi there

Well thank you so much for writing such a lovely post on our shop. Im Ally and I am part of the Blueberries team.. I didnt get to meet you the other day when you came in,, hopefully next time! We have added you to our Blog too.. I look after that for Jackie.. Hope to see you in the shop soon!
Happy Stitching
Ally :)

Michelle said...

That looks like patchwork nirvana. Funny how the universe works isn't it? I mean, you said it in writing that you didn't like shopping at Shyster and Shazam! This store appears, how cool is that!

Skylight photos soon, promise!

Jackie said...

I'm SOOOOOOOOOoooooooo jealous!!!!!

Corrie said...

ohhh a bit too far for me to travel but great store! My nearest patchwork store is in bilgola plateau and is so lovely but oh so dangerous!

Corrie:)