Tuesday, 14 April 2009

be gone gluten, be gone...


Now that Easter is behind us and Easter buns are not available at every turn, we are going gluten free here at the Blue House. I should qualify that - my husband is going gluten free completely and Minnie and I will be gluten free(ish) for the shared family meals.

For the main meals I think we have it covered. We eat lots of Chinese/Asian food (from this book and this one) and will continue to do so. We will try gluten free pasta and some nights, meat and veg will be fine. Its the breakfasts and lunches that are the hardest meals to cover. I know this from my sweet friends who are gluten free. One of the poor darlings is lucky if I have some tuna and a corn tortilla to throw her way when she visits. This will all change now!

For breakfast today my husband had an omelet with mushrooms, some yogurt and fruit (I secretly had the last Easter buns after he had left for work). Sounds great but not something for every morning. I got some gluten free cereals today but need to make sure there is some variety in this diet. If not, I am sure he will be less inclined to stick to it. The man does love a pie...

Sandwiches are just so easy for lunch and we wish that gluten free bread tasted just like bread with loads of gluten. Today, after bunging some rice on the hob at 6.00am, he took a rice and bean salad, some tuna, rice crackers and fruit. Sounds pretty good but I can't give him that everyday. And as good as left overs are, eating the some thing twice does get a little 'Ground Hog Day.'

So I would love some advice and links to good gluten free recipes. Today I bought the Lauke gluten free bread/baking mix and would love to know if anyone has tried it. Let me know your exciting ideas for breakfasts and lunches.

Oh and don't tell my husband but I just had lots of crusty bread, (with cheese) and some very gluten rich snacks...

11 comments:

JasperBoy said...

Sorry, not the appropriate response but I've just giggled my way through this post.

Bon apetit!!

Jen in Melbourne

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please find a decent bread mix for me. Surely with your excellent baking skills you can make it taste yummy? Let me know how you go with the Lowan breakfast - I don't know how I missed that one. Oh the joys of a gluten-free life. And how I long for an Easter bun or chunk of bread.
Gx

Michelle said...

Hi Rach

We've been gluten free on and off. Wraps for lunch are good, as are corn and linseed thins. We eat polenta porridge for breakfast which is really good, as is rice porridge. I've found with most "GF" cereals that the box, torn into small pieces and served with milk, is actually much tastier than the contents.

I always visit Mim for good recipes and advice:

http://www.beamingwithhealth.com.au/naturopathy/factsheets/gluten-free-eating

A very funny post nontheless!

Michellexx

Poppy and Mei said...

Oh my, so many good Jap recipes coming your way!
Watch your in box...XXxx

katiecrackernuts said...

It's hard. Really hard. I am supposed to be gluten free, but I love bread (she says scoffing a Baker's Delight date scone which will both make her mouth swell from the sulphur and then her stomach swell and bump and burp). I am a fan, however, of Carmen's GF muesli. It's delicious. Breakfast, lunch and dinner with cut banana. It's that good. (One in the box with brown coloured markings).

littleecofootprints said...

We have gone gluten free(ish). I've given up on fnding an edible gluten free bread. Instead I have rice thins. We eat rice poridge for breakfast. It can be rather bland so i cook it with sultanas and add a chopped bannana, honey and almond milk prior to serving. its yum!

I tend to have a bean salad for lunch. If I don't have much time in the mornings I simply throw together some bean mix, frozen peas, frozen corn and a smal tin of flavoured tuna. takes ess than a minute.

littleecofootprints said...

We have gone gluten free(ish). I've given up on fnding an edible gluten free bread. Instead I have rice thins. We eat rice poridge for breakfast. It can be rather bland so i cook it with sultanas and add a chopped bannana, honey and almond milk prior to serving. its yum!

I tend to have a bean salad for lunch. If I don't have much time in the mornings I simply throw together some bean mix, frozen peas, frozen corn and a smal tin of flavoured tuna. takes ess than a minute.

sophie said...

You are really brave, giving up gluten is a huge thing. We absolutely devour all things gluten here (so much pasta and lots of bread) but I do have a little thought in the back of my head that maybe we should think about slowing down, or at least trying alternatives.

I am in awe of your huisband making his lunch at 6am, wow! That is dedication.

tiff said...

Sorry Rach but there is no such thing as good tasting GF bread. (Just ask Ivy) although it's okay if you toast it, apparently. Ivy won't eat any of the cereals, except for the rice porridge. We found it cooks better if you soak it overnight.

Also, Ivy LOVES GF savory pikelets. If you want the recipe, you know where I am :)

Sorry, have been MIA for a while but have been wafting around in a William daze.

gold fawn said...

My daughter is allergic to gluten and I am usually gluten free. You can order gluten free oats on line. As you may know, wheat is sneakily slipped into sooo many things! drives me crazy. There is a great magazine called "living without" that is good for recipes and purveyors of gluten free items. good luck, it's so hard but try and forget about bread as you know it... there is an amazing bakery in seattle, if you ever come here... xo

Angie said...

My partner has also recently gone gluten free. EEEKKK....I couldn't think of anything worse.

The evening meals are fine, we eat lots of stir fries, soups & risotto anyway. He makes his own bread, the Lauke one but the one with seeds (not all supermarkets have it) & I always have a loaf of GF bread in the freezer in case he runs out (nothing too nice or he stops baking his own bread!).

I found the breakfast cereals were costing us a fortune as a packet only lasted 2-3 days (he rides to/from work) so now I get the Coles home-brand corn flakes, they are the only ones I could find without malt, etc added (they do say made in a factory that produces gluten products). He likes them & says they taste much better.

Thank goodness the GF pasta has improved, even so I prefer to eat real pasta so usually cook 2 lots. Lunches for us are OK as we always cook enough dinner so there are left overs. We also have soup in the freezer that he can grab. If not he has a stash of corn crackers at work with stuff to have on them.

There is a great GF choc cake mix called 'deliciously free' that is good to have on standby.

As for me, I'm glad to still have my homemade crusty bread freshly baked every couple of days, although I try to not bake it while he's around or it's rather cruel!

Good luck!

P.S. There is such a thing as GF beer, Tim doesn't drink much anyway but found he feels like one of these every now & then.