Wednesday, 4 March 2009

tweaking the plan...


Sometimes plans need to be tweaked a little. A few changes have had to be made. Things will be a little different around here for a while.

When I started sewing and selling on Etsy (and recently Made It) I promised myself and my family that it would not interfere too much with our lives. Within reason. Lately though its interfered a little too much. I am not complaining about getting work and I hope I am not sounding completely full of myself in the 'oh god I am just so sought after way.' That's not what's happening, really.

I think I was a little over zealous in what I thought I could achieve in the one day (5 or 6 hours) that Minnie is away from me at pre-school. I am just getting a few too many orders and I have taken on a few new wholesale orders. More than can be done in that one precious day. Of course I always sewed on evenings and weekends but, lately the pressure has been on to do this every evening and full weekends. Feelings of guilt surfacing. Not a happy time.

In my excitement at having 5 hours without my Minnie in tow, I did not fully take into consideration the other things that need doing at home. Perhaps I hadn't realised that organising trades people can be a full time job in itself. Organising them to actually turn up is another story.

So I am still going to be in my studio sewing and creating but I will not be taking custom orders for the next few months. Please don't panic if you have an order in - it will of course be completed. I have decided to sew and update my shop weekly with what I have been working on. I will still make some tee-shirts in various sizes but will be adding some skirts and dresses and tops and dolls. I trialled this today. I listed a skirt and about 20 minutes later it sold.

I think grandy and baa will survive a little tweaking...

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Good decision! It's amazing how what seems like a small project can snowball into a huge, time consuming stress out.

And of course grandy and baa will survive - you can't keep talent like yours down!

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice on the sewing!

melissa said...

Rach:

Yes, better not to let it take over your life. Though it is exciting that you're having so many orders. Your work is so beautiful!

katiecrackernuts said...

Oh, I soooo know what you mean. I have a little seed of an idea and am telling myself, it will be just one weekend a month, but I know it won't. I am trying to wrap up the anywhere between six and 20 hours a week I spend on Guides (minimum six) and fulltime work and two teens (one difficult) and a dependent adult (read, older teen given the hissy fit over being asked to clean her room last week) and I'm whacked. Firing on about two cylinders but still running like I'm on six. The garden is being changed, so slowly, the house renovation is happening, so slowly, so very slowly, and I am thinking of taking a week's leave in Tuesdays just to get tradespeople to our house and be there to phone and jump and down when they don't show.

Cindy said...

I think I need some tweaking too! What is that Mummy thing when you think you can do everything on 2 hours sleep!? And why do things always take longer than you think.

Amber said...

Oh Rach,

I bet you are buggered with it all. Lots on.
Your talent is outstanding and all will roll with it i am sure.
Loved seeing you the other day. You looked so well, glowing and great.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

tiff said...

I like that skirt...

Hope the tweaking gives you back some time, Rach.

Jo said...

Tweaking is a good thing, very wise sometimes.
The skirt is gorgeous, as is the model. Jo