Thursday, 26 March 2009

This is Hazel



Hazel was my Great, Great Aunt. She knitted wonderful socks, baked the most delicious biscuits and made the best cup of tea in the world. She made our tea in little china cups (and saucers) and always added a tiny bit of sugar.

This is of course Hazel as a wee girl. Wearing her best coat and tights and a little clip in her hair. Hazel was a little girl during WW1. Her big and most favourite brother died in that war. When they emptied his pockets to return his belongings home to his family, they found not a photo of a sweetheart or his parents but a photo of the little girl Hazel. There was no doubt she was his most favourite sister.

This little Hazel has found a new home now but some other special girls will be joining the shop soon. There will be Pearl, Daisy, Elsie, Ethel, Ruby and Joan. And like all the amazing women in my family, they all have a little story to tell...

15 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Hazel is so lovely. Such a sad but sweet story...

Jetta's Nest said...

I love that you're making all these special girls with amazing stories to tell, and I also love that you've made a girl applique. I've been thinking about it lately so it's nice to see your version.

Can't wait to see the other girls :)

Jenny said...

I love Hazel, she is so quirky and cute.

Cass said...

That is absolutely gorgeous

Amber said...

Hazel is beautiful and what a beautiful story...
I love that name and i just love your work again...you are one talented sweet gal...xx

sophie said...

Rach, that is such a beautiful story - Hazel must have been an amazing person. I love this little tunic, your applique skill is so good!

P.S I couldn't stop laughing about shysterlight...

sue said...

I love the hazel smock, so cute. I loved reading the story too, how sweet her big brother kept a pic of her with him as she must have made him feel very happy. My nan used to be called Ethel and I dont know if it was a popular name but I know my auntie who has it as a middle name doesnt like it too much. Your aunties all seem to have such sweet old fashioned names, and I cant wait to hear their stories too.

Megan: The Byron Life said...

Love Hazel. You're so very talented Rach.
x

katiecrackernuts said...

A baby girl was born into our family this week, her name is Elise. The naming had me thinking of girls' names and I like Hazel. It's strong and soft at once. But those other names are lovely too. We had a Ruby, a great aunt, and a Pearl. My gran is a Joan.

Poppy and Mei said...

Must have said pinnys for girls. STOP
Kindy starts soon. STOP
Please mail me. STOP
LOVE IT! (don't) STOP! XXxx

Michelle said...

Hazel is very cute - what a poignant story. A lovely way to remember great women in your family. You are so clever!

The Magic Onions said...

Hazel is amazing... you really are something! I have been immersed in your blog for hours and just had to come back to this post to let you know that you've brought me great enjoyment tonight. I'll be coming back soon.

purplegiraffes said...

Loving Hazel!!

Angie said...

What a beautiful tale & dress to remember her by

Harriet said...

I think you might have to make hazel's for big people, I really want one!! Just stopping by after a break from blogging and blog reading (so long I can't remember my password!), hope you are well.