Monday, 9 March 2009

good bye summer, my old friend...


I really don't like the end of summer. I get a bit grumpy and miserable about it actually. Its not just the end of the warm days but, its the end of the long days. I love having all that extra light in the evening for getting out the in the garden, for sipping G&T's on the veranda or for a sneaky trip to the beach after work.

When I get over this end of summer funk, I do actually love autumn and winter. I prefer the fashions for the cooler months - I am fond of being able to cover up some of the less than attractive parts of my body. I love coats and jackets and woollens. I love my winter doona and a mountain of pillows and a big family hug on a chilly morning. I love our 1000 count sheets that seem even better on a cool day.

I love a good, crisp apple and a juicy pear. I am after all, from the apple isle... I love soups and stews and wintery deserts with King Island cream. I have made Steve promise me that he will bake strudels and streusels and kugelhopf to keep me happy over the cooler days.

And now that its getting cooler, I am going to learn to knit. I can actually do the knitting bit and the casting off but for the life of me, I have no idea how to cast on. I tried to cast on while watching 'The Bill' on Saturday night. A disaster. I will get there, I know I will. Perhaps in time for summer...

10 comments:

katiecrackernuts said...

Here's the inspiration you need: http://rosydelights.blogspot.com/ I can teach you to cast on, knit and purl and a few tricky bits. I never ever ever get more than about half way through a pattern though so don't ask too much. Coffee? Wool, needles? Where?

Kate said...

I love autumn - not hot and not cold and everyone can play outside - Not looking forward to being stuck inside this winter.

Amber said...

Oh Rach, I am with you on the knitting, I have made myself the same promise. Let's have a dinner and knit night here one night soon. I can knit but i cannot cast on or off.
Hope I get to sample some of these yummy things you mention...xx
P,S. My email has played up all day and i cannot send emails. I am feeling much better..thank you xxxx

sophie said...

I know i'm going to miss summer. I am pretty ok about the cooler months but I really get down if it rains a lot! When you can't go outside I start to climb the walls! Bring on the strudels with lashings of cream I say!!

Jessica said...

Casting on was the trickiest for me to learn, but a couple of tries and you'll get it!

Jackie said...

Knitting fabulous....As you know, I can only knit in a straight line but circular needles are a wonder!
I am so looking forward to the return of the sun up here in the North.
1000 thread count!!!!! I felt wonderful on my 600 thread count. I am trying to imagine 1000....Such sweet softness!

xoxo

Jelly Wares said...

Great to hear that you'r going to give knitting a go!!! It will all come together for you, I promise and when it does you'll wonder why you never tried it ages ago... LOL!!! Have you signed up for Ravelry yet??? They have a heap of fantastic patterns on there and loads of handy advice too... Also if you're looking for some great beginner knitting advice you should check out knitty.com if you haven't already...

Take Care
Jodie :)

Poppy and Mei said...

Keep on clickin', you'll nut it out! XXxx

E and T said...

Hi Rach

Summer is one of my favourite times of year. I love family trips to the beach and the long days.

Having said that, the cooler weather brings with it those yummy comfort winter foods. I agree, cooler fashions are so comfy and snuggly.

Good luck with your knitting adventures.

Lots of love
Elise

ada sunday said...

You have to go on U tube- Mrs Moscowitz. She's taught me everything I need to know.