Sunday, 8 February 2009

the devastation...

I am sitting here alone thinking about how devastating the last 24 hours have been for people in Victoria. For those of you outside of Australia, extreme temperatures and high winds have fueled major bush (forest) fires across the State that have, as of Sunday evening, claimed the lives of 76 people.

I cannot imagine the horror of this, for those poor families that have literally lost everything. I have read some reports of babies without clothes, or food or nappies and families wearing the only possessions they have left in the world. And of course the tragic stories of the 76 people who couldn't get out in time...

So I am compelled to do something. I am not sure what form this may take but, I am thinking of doing what I know how to do - to make something. Like I did when Alice died. I am thinking of sewing some clothes and handmade softies for the babies and children that have suffered this unthinkable loss. And I am thinking of asking for other people to perhaps do the same.

Tomorrow I will try and get in contact with the Red Cross or CWA in Victoria and see what I can do. I will let you know. And please let me know if you know would like to help.

Such a sad, sad time.

(Monday AM) Ed: I have decided to start the collection now and find a distribution point/agency as I go. If you are keen to help, please let me know. I am going to applique some onesies and tee-shirts for babies and children. Just some simple, cheery designs. And I will do some girls skirts. And of course, some little creatures to cuddle. I know the Toy Society is also doing a toy collection.

I will let you know if anyone is taking 'second hand clothes' - I know some charities are asking for money donations, not clothing but, I will keep you posted on this.

21 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I think that would be a lovely way to help. We all feel extremely helpless when things like this happen.

cindy said...

That is a really great idea.

Kate said...

Absolutely - it would be the least I could do.

Amber said...

Rach,

You are beautiful, what a wonderful idea. I am hopeless at making stuff, but i will give kids clothes, donations, whatever is needed. I feel sad tonight, a little lost trying to imagaine how some people are feeling tonight...
You are pure goodness Rach...
xxxxx

Kate said...

That sounds like a wonderful thing to do. People I know have lost their home, but at least they are all safe.

Cath said...

Yes, I am so keen to help too and feel like at least I can do something...

Gillian said...

Hi, I would love to donate some skirts and somme appliqued singlets. Good on you for helping out.

Christie said...

such a great idea, i shall get sewing

Poppy and Mei said...

I'm totally in Rach!
I've been walking around for days with goosebumps & shivers going down my spine so this'll give me something positive to think about & act on. Glad you're safe.
Let's do it! XXxx

Selina said...

I would love to help! Let me know how.

Kelly said...

What a wonderful idea. Its so devastating. I would love to help out too!

Missie Krissie said...

Hiya,
Great idea, I've done some appliqueing and they're ready to send, can you give me an address to send them to?
Thanks!!

Sarah-Jo said...

HI

I would love to send you some handmade skirts if you are interested please email me your address at
ideyspidey@hotmail.com
thankyou
Sarah-Jo

Cathy said...

I would be glad to help with the onesies. I live quite near the Kinglake fires and know people who have lost everything -it;s devastating. Please keep me informed.

Hoppo Bumpo said...

Wonderful idea - I would love to help. I will make some kiddy trousers. Let me know where to send them!

sophie said...

I would love to help, please keep me informed. I can sew pants, skirts, bibs, applique baby items, whatever you need.

Selina said...

Keep us posted if anyone is collecting clothing.

Feels a little inappropriate on this post but I've tagged you for 6 x 6 when you feel like joining in.

muralimanohar said...

I have an outfit half made for giving, but nowhere to send it yet. Would love to add it to your collection.

Sarah Lock said...

Hi,

I think this is a great idea and I will get sewing tonight straight after work. Please keep us posted about where to send things to.

My Love is..... said...

I'm in. This is truly terrifying.

Black Eyed Susie said...

I'll be in too. Thanks for organising.