Thursday, 4 December 2008

it must be craft week...





Minnie thanks you all for your lovely comments about her printing. She did want to point out that she didn't cut the design out herself - its one of her Mummy's applique designs. Just in case you thought she was some kind of scissor snipping prodigy...

Today we had a trip to a great big fabric store (Shyster-Light) in search of some plastic needles for Miss Minnie's sewing. I have let her use great big metal darning needles but have to watch her like a hawk - I have horrible flashes of what could happen if that needle made contact with, for example, a toddlers eye, temple, nasal passage...

So we went to the store, spent 55.00AUS on fabric and 'stuff', even after pointing out that they overcharged me 20.00AUS. Every time I go to Shyster-Light they 'accidentally overcharge' - some 'computer error' that for the last few months seems to have gone un-fixed. I almost offered up the services of my brother-in -aw, who as an IT manager-person for a BIG computer company, may be able to whip up a fix for this 'computer error.' I am starting to think they may like this little 'computer error'... This computer error was matched by the other little issue today - 'sorry we charged you for 3 cottons, I didn't realise there were only 2...' Mmm, computer problems and an apparent visual impairment epidemic in the staff. Poor loves, how can they cope with it all?

Anyway, back to the story. We got the plastic needles - they are darning needles, to be found in the knitting section (if you can climb over all the crap on the floor) and the brand we got are Arbee.


I got some hessian (about 4.99AUS a meter at Shyster-Light), cut it into squares (about 20x20cm) and over locked the edges of little squares. I threaded the needles with embroidery thread (floss) and started the first stitch - as the weave is open on the hessian, I sewed over the start a couple of times so the knot doesn't pull through.

Then leave it to professionals...



9 comments:

Kathryn said...

I am SO getting some of those needles for a certain little girl's christmas stocking!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I ought to get some too? They'd be a LOT easier to spot when I drop them on the floor!! Love, Oody XXX
P.S. You obviously are having so much fun!!

Kate said...

Brilliant! I have to go there this weekend to get hessian for stockings I'll get some needles as well. Thanks!

Shellbells said...

cool idea must try it sometime

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

That's fantastic, We've been using the big, big needle too, for beads mainly, but will def be buying one of these.

Poppy and Mei said...

Oh! That'll end up in the advent pressys for sure! XXxx

potty mouth mama said...

That needle is awesome.. Funnily enough, this was one of my projects for today, then I came to visit you et voila! I was just going to use a large needle, but now I think we need one of your special ones!

purplegiraffes said...

I think I just lost a comment I posted.

I love the new name - Shyster-Light. Am actually on my way there now - (fabric and crafting options are limited in my town, so have little choice).

And I have a feeling their overcharging tactics are their policy all over the country. I ALWAYS have to check my receipt before I leave the till now. At least half the time they overcharge - drives me crazy!

CurlyPops said...

It seems that Shyster-Light is the same the whole country over.
Although I must say that I've arrived home without checking my receipt only to find I've been undercharged too!
I think the wages they pay might be part of their problem.