Tuesday, 11 November 2008

now my nerves are shot!


Snakes Alive!

We have snakes!

I just found a snake on the veranda, long and slinky and rearing up at me. I grabbed Minnie and moved faster than the speed of light, I kid you not. Faster than any woman has ever moved before. I went and found Daisy, shut all the doors, put on Playschool (to district Minnie and the cat), called Steve and panicked.

You see I am a country girl from a place in Australia where all the snakes want to kill you. Dead. They take no prisoners. Growing up we didn't see the kind, friendly snakes so I have a fear of them. Worse than my fear of rats...

I stopped shaking and then called some people who know about these things. They gave me the details of other calm, snake friendly people who are going to come and find my uninvited guests.

The good news is that they are most likely harmless. However, 'most likely harmless' ain't quite good enough for me.

If anyone comes looking for us, we are barricaded in the sitting room with 'Playschool' on the TV, coffee for me and pfeffernusse for Minnie. Daisy is keeping watch at the french doors. I am not sure how her nerves will cope if the 1.5mt slithering reptile returns...


I know it will be too much for mine.
(painting: 'Lilith with a Snake,'(1892), John Collier)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Didn't even think of snakes! (Hope that plural isn't necessary). By now perhaps the removalists have been and extracted the source of your angst - I can absolutely feel just how you must be about it. Oody XXX

Amber said...

Oh Gez told me today you had a snake and now i read this...oh dear lovely. The ARC guys will help.
As much as i love snakes it is a little scary to think they are sharing your childs space...
good luck rach and i can help if need be???
xx
P.S Thank you for putting the ARC link there. Exposure is so important so people will call and not harm the animal..

Kate said...

I hate them too! Lucky that two teachers from Chris' school are trained snake removers so I know who to call! Hop he was shocked to see you and packed up and left!

Mama de Saga said...

Yikes! I would have done the same thing! Poor Daisy she seems to have enough to worry about. I hope they have answers for you soon, like they are totally harmless.
Lisa

My Love is..... said...

ohhhhh me too. I grew up and still live in rural Australia and I was taught to be very very wary of all slithering things..... which means I am very healthily petrified of them. My Melbourne raised man whose mum had a pet snake doesnt know what all the fuss is about!!!! Good luck with the removal. I am loving ur blog.

Michelle said...

I know how you feel - moving to Tasmania and becoming acquainted with the deadly three was a bit of shock. I have seen a few in our yard and I'm desperately trying to overcome my fear. But they are very unnerving when there's little ones around..

Anonymous said...

Ewww, snakes.
Worse still spiders.

tiff said...

Oop, sorry the above anon was me :)

Jelly Wares said...

You poor thing!!! Thankgoodness it's not harmful.... I live in the bush and had my first brown snake (very DEADLY) for the season on my back lawn last week... After investing in a jack russell we have hardly seen any around the house which is a bonus... I canstill remember last Summer when I had a humungous brown snake slithering around on my loungeroom floor right where my little princess had been playing not 20 seconds before.... Chills me to the bone thinking about it.... Take some deep breaths, by the sounds of things help is on its way and that creature will be out of your life soon..

Jodie :)

potty mouth mama said...

Hmm, I am not a fan snake either. Hope they slither right on out of your space. YUCK!

Jo said...

Hope the snake is well and truly gone now, and you and Minnie and Daisy are OK.