Thursday, 13 November 2008

Being Green

Minnie carrying out some scientific analysis on the washing powder...


I try to be green. I recycle, I compost, I shop at op shops (the re-use box ticked there) and I have voted for people like this lovely man. As a child I remember our whole family loudly protesting against this bit of Tasmanian history. We were in tree planting groups and helped saved wildlife and monitored the platypus population in our river. I went to hippie festivals and I sometimes eat tofu. I buy the 'greener, safer' options for some household products and I have been known to use a little vinegar and baking powder around the place. So I decided to try a new washing powder out on the market. I had such high hopes, I really did. I was willing it to work. Wishing that it would end my relationship with our current washing powder.

My husband got the washing off the line. He wondered what had happened because some grime/dirt was on his shorts and his trousers and his tee-shirt. Mmm, I said and inspected the clothes. Mmm, they still had some grime on them. Mmm, they were not as clean as they should have been. I was deflated. I so wanted to fall in love with this new, nicely packaged, happy and earth loving powder.

Do you live with slightly less clean clothes and the warm feeling of being good to the plant? Or do you use the powder that may be slowly killing off the waterways but by golly, you look great in that clean, white tee-shirt?

Mmm, but I do look good in white...

5 comments:

Selina said...

I'm kind of use to baby vomit, pee and poo. And once the baby vomit stopped the vegemite on my shoulder started. Washing powder what good is it? Go the friendly and live with the warm feeling and the dirt.

Miz Molly said...

I've seen an eco friendly (very) product on a site. They are called Maggie's Soap Nuts.

Google them and see what you find.

I haven't tried them myself - keep meaning to order some!

My Love is..... said...

Me too!!..... We use are grey water on the lawns and the non-green type of detergents leave a bit of a residue but I havent yet found green one that keeps my whites white....and I do love a white-white top. But..... I love this great green, blue and brown planet too and all its innocent bystanders. why is it so hard to break with our vain habits??
Great post thanx.

Michelle said...

Aahh the vexed topic of washing powder. Wish I had an answer for you...

potty mouth mama said...

Hmm. Which one are you using? I've been using one and it's not bad.. Or maybe I need my eyes to be tested...?!