Tuesday, 21 October 2008

sleep is for the very lucky...

evidence that Minnie can in fact sleep... Hong Kong

We have just had one of the worlds worst nights of non sleep.

Minnie started out as a terrible sleeper and some nights, she takes us back to that time to re-live it all over again. She didn't sleep for more than 5 hours in a row until 4 days shy of her 2nd birthday. Most nights she would wake every hour or two for a feed, a cuddle or something. She slept with us so as at least I could doze while she emptied my breasts every night. We were all permanently tired and given she was difficult to get to sleep in the day, we never seemed to catch up on our rest. At times I thought I was going to go completely doo-lally from lack of sleep.

So last night she was awake at 10.00pm and in our bed. She cried and carried on and I made regular threats of returning her to her cot (yes, she still sleeps in her cot as she is so small she fits in there happily). I spent hours awake holding her, moving her, patting her back. In these dark cold hours I think of Alice and find it hard to sleep anyway.


Finally Minnie dozed off but awoke a million times, perhaps because she is still a little unwell. She demanded to sleep on my 'boobies' so I was either flat on back and apparently woke everyone with my snoring, or on my side with Minnie lying over me. She was weaned in May after 2 years and 4 months of feeding but obviously still finds comfort in the 'boobies.' We were up and down as every now and then she would wake, scream and head to the lounge room. Steve just got kicked in the head and back most of the night. To add to this the cat was going mental and knocked glasses of water over on the bedside tables. Plus both Steve and I had similar disturbing dreams about the economy...

Ripper. Bloody ripper. Whinge, whinge, whine...

6 comments:

Hot Belly Mama - taking it all back said...

oh, you poor baby. drink yourself a good big glass of wine. or drown yourself in a box of chocolate. or both...

Amber said...

Oh and she look so sweet when she is asleep...I agree red wine...
In all honesty have you thought of trying some herbs with her,
I have used them on my little man when he has been over revved and we have had the best results...happy to help. Just drop me an email.

xx

Jo said...

Oh Rach, you poor thing. I can sympathize, my Matt was a shocking sleeper too. I think it's a sign of high intelligence, or cuteness, or something...xx

emma said...

ah kids, who'd have 'em? Sorry rach, but I tagged you, but you don't have to play if you can't be bothered, I'll totally understand!

Fran said...

Hi,
We also have a non-sleeping child! She's now four and a half, and it's only this year she's started to sleep well. Eventually we were recommended a herbal product call 'Calm me down' by Cathay Herbal. It changed our lives!
Hope you get some rest soon,
Fran

Jackie said...

Oh Rach. Everything feels worse in the middle of the night, doesn't it? The day after one of 'those' nights, I always take the kids on LONG walks or to the park for a few HOURS or play tag or something extremely active. I am grossly exhausted and it's so hard to play but the prospect of tired children and a few uninteruppted hours of sleep is a fabulous motivator! LOL I wish you an uninterrupted night of sleep, sweetie.
xox