Sunday, 19 October 2008

ramblings from the veranda...

The blue house has a huge veranda that wraps around most of the house. We think the veranda floorspace may be in fact larger than the house itself. The veranda's were the one of the things we fell in love with when we first saw the house. We spend a lot of time out there, rain or shine. The orange chair lives out there, as does the piano that came with the house. Lots of chairs and cushions and mats for sitting on. Its where the painting and printing takes place as does a great deal of research from my gardening books.

As the weather is now really warming up, I don't think we will spend much time in doors at all.

Unless it has been too cool, we eat our dinners and lunches outside too. This salad, with Thai style dressing (I use oil, lemon or lime juice, palm sugar, fish sauce and chili), went with the chili lemongrass chicken that is being cooked by the master bbq'er. Sadly none of the salad leaves are from our garden as we have only had the garden in for 2 weeks...

Since moving in we have had two lovely Sunday lunches with wonderful friends and family. Long afternoons of eating and drinking and sometimes loosing the odd toddler (he was fine - just busy in the garden...)

Today our niece, The Little Bear, came for lunch. What a hoot she is. We had some delicious salads from this great book and a lovely afternoon. Minnie has a cold and was not feeling too grand - she feel asleep on the couch after lunch. Minnie loves The Little Bear and was very miserable when she awoke to find that she had gone home. Lots of tears... But Minnie was happy to look at photos of The Little Bear in action.

And after a few weeks away, I am back in the sewing saddle with a few orders to complete. My sewing room is a nightmare but I can manage to squeeze past the mess to the sewing machine. I have a few new designs to list this week and lots more in my head waiting to get out!

I hope you all had a lovely week.

6 comments:

Amber said...

That salad looks yummy.

Hope your little one gets better soon.

xx

spectacularfairywren said...

yum salad in summer.
Rach wanted to say I'm so so sorry for your loss. Little buttons will always be your daughter, and you will always be her mum. Enjoy your new home

xox

Jo said...

That salad looks yummy.
I am very jealous of your verandahs, they sound lovely.

Sarah Epstein said...

Hi Rach,

I always wanted a house with a verandah all the way around...I'm still hoping for it one day.

I'm still thinking of you and your beautiful Alice Buttons.

Sarah x

Poppy and Mei said...

We've been outside alot too.
Meals are always much yummier outside don't you think?

tiff said...

We love our verandah too!

I hope you little girl feels better soon.