Sunday, 14 September 2008

‘…we also know that we shall remain inconsolable and will never find a substitute, no matter what may fill the gap, even if it be filled completely, it nevertheless remains something else. And actually, this is how it should be…it is the only way of perpetuating that love that we do not want to relinquish.’

Sigmund Freud, in a letter to a friend after the death of his daughter.

[Freud, S (1929) Letter to Binswanger in EL Freud (ed.) Letters of Sigmund Freud, New York, Basic Books]

2 comments:

thula thula designer said...

I am lost for words, so I will pass on thoughts and prayers to you and your family. I too have also experienced this loss, yet I have also had recently, a prem baby now come through the long road and be home.
Be strong.
I'm first time to your blog. I will be back.
Naomi

Anonymous said...

Rach, this is my first time commenting on your blog also, I just wanted to let you know my heart breaks for you and your dear family. Take the time you need and know that you will always have friends you know and those you don't, to lean on when you can no longer stand up yourself. xx