Wednesday, 2 July 2008

A break from regular programming...


The next part of the how to applique series is coming very soon but I have been tagged in a meme and thought I should respond to that one first (I have not had the chance to cut my Red Delicious apple for the accompanying photos).


I was tagged by Kris at Garden Variety and Anna at Griffin Creek, so a brief pause in sewing to respond to this meme.


The rules:
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player tags 5 people and posts their name, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

What was I doing 10 years ago?
Mmm, mid 20's. I thought I had it all worked out of course but I didn't. I was living in Hobart (Tasmania) and working in a gorgeous but freezing historic blue stone church in the middle of the city (in welfare). I was living in fantastic Battery Point, with a lot of wonderful friends close by. I was getting ready for my big overseas adventure and watching one of my best friends die of leukemia.

Five snacks I enjoy in a perfect, non weight-gaining world (and in this world as well):
All sorts of cheese - any of them and all of them (perhaps not the one made in the caves in Italy with the live wormy things). Crisps - Salt and Vinegar (preferably the Salt and Balsamic vinegar ones I lived on in London). Biscuits - sweet or plain or cheesy. Pate, anything by Maggie Beer. Pickled onions but only Tassie's finest Blue Banner - they really are the best in the world

Five snacks I enjoy in the real world:
Cheese, salt and vinegar Vegie chips, salted pistachios. Yes, I do enjoy salty and unhealthy snacks... apples and biscuits. And raspberries if I could get them everyday.

Five things I would do if I were a billionaire:
Supply essential life saving drugs to the developing world and tell the drug companies to go '#$ck' themselves. Build good, safe parks for children in all areas, not just the nice, wealthy middle class suburbs. Produce a range of biodegradable sanitary pads for girls in Africa (and elsewhere) so they could go to school when they are menstruating. Buy a house for my family. But spend most of our time travelling and exploring the world.

Five jobs that I have had:
Working in a cafe, doing research in broad acre housing estates in Hobart, nanny, working for a big snazzy company in London (I could call in a drinks trolley if I felt like a glass of wine in the late afternoon), looking after staff health and OH&S for a Government agency.

Three of my habits:
I don't finish things that I start, I forget things in the fridge and I turn both our cars into mobile playrooms/tips within moments of driving them.

Five places I have lived: Hobart, Launceston, London, Campbell Town (TAS), St Louis (USA). And I moved to Sydney for love...

Five things to do today: Talk to the cat who is suffering a stress disorder at the moment (do not ask), play with Minnie, do some of the washing that appears to have taken over the laundry floor, finish some orders, and try put away the folding that my mum did for me about a week ago (I am hopeless).


Five people I want to get to know more about:
Although I cannot expect them to respond, I would love to know more about the woman I have bumped into twice that is from Turkmenistan with her husband from Iran. How did they end up here? What is their story? And would love to know what happened to Car Park Mark - the car park attendant from my work in London. He was from Belfast. He once told me that I was one of the only people that stopped to talk to him everyday - most people ignored him. He came to my leaving drinks but left without talking to me when he saw me with my work mates - I tried to catch him up but I was too late. Was he nervous? Did he feel out of place with the 'suits?' I wished he had not felt that way.


So unless my 2 'friends' are reading this, I would like 5 other new friends to respond, if they have the time.
Selina
Nikki

Tiff
Mary Beth

Bex (who I know is very busy so I will understand if she takes a few months to get to this one)

7 comments:

Nikki (Mother of the Devil Child) said...

Bored at work so I'll do this one. :)

Selina said...

Come to my house any time with a plate of food, cheese, salted things and vegie chips! Yummo I'll get the wine...

Mary Beth said...

I loved reading your answers, Rach. What a fun meme! You are so generous and big hearted. I love that and am inspired by you, truly. And I'm so sorry your friend died of leukemia. That sucks.

Thanks for including me--I'll play, not sure when, but soon.

Skye Rocket Sews said...

Hee...he can I get a lift to Selina's house,Rach?

I read this earlier on today...it got me thinking about where I was 10 years ago...and I just remembered...I had just meet my husband in Glasgow then...That's pretty special!!!
Been a bit grumpy towards him this week so that's snapped me out of it... a little.. 10 years together..thanks for reminding me!
Looking forward to hearing the others responses!
Mel.x

Jessica said...

I love this little meme-thanks for sharing a little bit about who you are!

Jessica said...

Hi there- Thanks for you compliment about my photo! We always said a red sky at night is a sailor's delight. In fact, in that picture, the sun is literally setting over the lake. I have lived within walking distance of the great lakes most of my life so we've always referenced the sailor in that rhyme! Thanks for your not-boring fact of the day!!

Anonymous said...

you lived in Battery Point - lucky thing. I feel like I"m in a movie when I'm there; it's so lovely.

Kris