Monday, 2 June 2008

on the mend...


thank you all for your lovely comments during my sick days. I am almost over it now - just the annoying nose and chest to clear up. My mother-in-law was a great help while my husband, S, was overseas. He is back (lovely) but off again in 2 weeks for 2 weeks (not lovely)... My mother is also overseas at the moment but will be jetting into keep us company during his absence. Yes, my family are always somewhere. You see my siblings are spread out over 3 continents so we get around a bit.


Had to close my Etsy shop for a while as I need to catch up with some orders and teach a 2 year old to go to sleep on their own in the day... At night she is fine (now) but in the day will not go to sleep in her cot or anywhere other than the car. I feel like a nutter driving around the Coast trying to get her to sleep. Do you think the room needs to be darker? Today she has not slept and is a maniac. I am counting down the minutes until my husband walks in the door (48 minutes to go).


On a cheery note a friend of mine had her second baby on the weekend - an as yet unnamed baby girl delivered safely at home. I don't think I have the confidence in my self to ever contemplate a home birth. I admire her terribly for doing it. She is a nurse and has delivered babies when she was working way up in the remote north of Australia. It was a long day but the midwife says it was all perfect and she was never worried... Well done A and welcome to this big, big world little baby girl.

8 comments:

E and T said...

I am happy to read that you are feeling a little better. Thank goodness for mums and MIL's during times of sickness.

I wish I could offer you some pearls of wisdom when it comes to teaching a little one to self settle, but unfortunately I don't have any. I just hope that a solution is worked out and your daughter does learn to settle at home for you.

Love
Elise

Selina said...

Wish I could be confident enough to give birth at home. I had a dramatic labour, a ceasar and a 4.75kg baby so I'm not too confident when it comes to child birth.

Nikki (Mother of the Devil Child) said...

Hopefully the last of it buggers off soon Rach. Being sick sucks aplenty.

And I'm a hard ass when it comes to errant toddlers - I shut mine in her room! Well... I lie, at the moment I lie down with her and have a nap myself. hehe

Shellbells said...

Have just fund your blog and love what I have read...count me in as a regular!!!

PS. My little chicken loves putting things on her head too!!!

13mimosa said...

Sleep, I honestly don't know - it's such a motive thing isn't it. Both our girls started out as unsettled sleepers, although with completely different habits. Ella was sleeping through with no "intervention" aside from needing help to the loo in middle of the night by 3 (not too long for you to go). Leila is slowly getting better. We said we'd never have the second in bed with us, avoid that, but honestly, when she sleeps we just get through. I wish there were a remedy but speaking only for myself, I don't know that I had that much influence.

Jo said...

Hi Rach ... ahh the sleep factor. Always so tricky. Sometimes having the room darker does really help. A bit of background noise can help too (e.g. the radio on - I generally put the boys to bed and then go turn the radio on for a while, tends to help drown out any other sudden noises that might disturb them). It is hard as it is so different for every child. And I find once I've sorted one thing out, then the next adventure begins. Sorry I can't help anymore than just saying hang in there- it will get better.

Skye Rocket Sews said...

Will she settle if you lay down with her until she falls asleep?
Then quietly sneak away?
How old is she?
Around 2 1/2-3?
It's the time it all go awry.
Mel.x

tiff said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.