Saturday, 26 April 2008

And the winner is....


Drum roll please....

Anna! (randomly selected by Minnie sticking her jammy fingers on my laptop screen). Thank you all for your lovely comments and sharing in my excitement of reaching 75 sales since starting on etsy late last year. I have also sold quite a few dresses and tops 'off etsy' and I am part way through my big first wholesale order - exciting and busy times ahead (I hope).
When I started maternity leave I had every intention of returning to my job where I wore a suit and went to meetings and travelled around to attend more meetings and did other meeting type activities. I loved where I worked and my colleagues were some of the most wonderful people around. I could never imagine not going back. But something strange happens when a naked, tiny, wet, pinky/blue coloured bundle of brand new life if placed on your chest.

My 1 year maternity leave stretched easily into 2 years (my work had brilliant conditions like 12 weeks maternity leave at full pay or 24 weeks at half pay and then unpaid leave to take you up to 2 full years). I could not face returning to work, not even the 2 days that I was planning to do, as we live quite a commute from my office (at least 3 hours a day in total) and my husband is forever jetting off to far flung places with his work. The thought of Minnie all alone with her parents miles away made me feel terrible. We don't have any family in this part of the world so no Oma's or Gaddy's or Auntie Kippy's to take care of our girl.
So I resigned. Through a bit of sobbing I wrote the letter and felt a great part of me disappear into the ether with it when I pressed 'send.' I know that may sound odd to some people but within a few key strokes I seemed to have given away a great part of who I was. I felt lonely and without a title. I love being a mother but for me alone that was not enough. I desperately needed something to do to give me another focus, another interest and I suppose another 'title.'
I have sewed and designed clothes since I was young (I have books filled with my evening gown designs, inspired by the then newly wed Princess Diana...) and I had started making a few little things that I thought I could sell. While scouring the web for vintage fabric (another love) last August, I came across a blog that I started reading and was introduced to a new world in the form of musings on life, sewing and parenting, travel and design, art and a whole lot more. I fell in love with it all and was energised by these women. What really caught my eye was this thing called etsy. I could not believe that I had not heard of this 8th wonder of the world! Handmade things that were cool and groovy. Handmade things that you could buy and sell. And that was the beginning of my new 'title'...




8 comments:

Anna said...

I CAN"T BELIEVE I WON!!!!!!! I am SO EXCITED!!!!!
My babe will look so cute in one of your ADORABLE T's! THANK YOU!

E and T said...

How wonderful that you used your hobby and talents to create your very own business where you can work from home.

I also found out about the Etsy world through blogging. I was amazed that I had never stumbled across it before I read about it in someone elses blog.

Here's wishing you continued success with your store.

Skye Rocket Sews said...

Oh Rach!
Your story is so like mine.
Congrats on the sales,you stuff is beautiful.
Mel.x

Poppy & Mei said...

You didn't have a giveaway without me did you? *sniff* ;) Xxx

Jo said...

That was a lovely post.
Jo

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love all your cute appliqued tees and onesies! Wishing you continued success in your new role - looks like you found your niche!

Selina said...

Thanks for sharing...I think there is a few of us feeling similar.

Great photo on your blog.

melissa sews said...

I completely understand how you felt when you gave up your career. I actually did go back to work when my son was 2, and was MISERABLE. Didn't take me long to realise I need to be home more than I need a career. I'm glad you found something that works for you and your family - your shirts are gorgeous!