Monday, 18 February 2008

The taste of fresh berries...





We are away at the moment holidaying in the country at my childhood home. Its is just gorgeous and the summer afternoons are long and warm. I can hear the birds outside and the strawberries and blackberries are still bursting out in the garden. Minnie and I enjoy picking them and eating them straight from the plants. My mother has a magnificent garden full of fruit and vegies and herbs. Picking things from the garden and then eating them is such a treat for us city dwellers. It reminds me of my childhood and of a childhood we want to give Minnie. I grew up in the country and my husband spent many of his childhood years on a working farm. The best we can do at the moment are some citrus trees in our courtyard. We have found a house that we would love to buy - the garden already has citrus trees and a herb garden and a persimmon. Sadly though I don't think we can quite afford it with the recent interest rate increase...



Last night she made a pizza - yes, she cut (mashed really) the toppings, spread on the passata, placed all the topings on it, sprinkled on the cheese and 'helped' it go in the oven. She is 2. Then she ate it for her dinner.
We had intended to be home by now but I, like a complete fool, was convinced that our flights were Thursday - in fact we were due to leave Wednesday! My brain had completely escaped me. I am not sure if it shall it ever return.

1 comment:

Jo said...

The farm sounds lovely, as does Minnie's pizza. Hope you get home sometime.....